Roof Box For Honda Odyssey – Reviews and Comparison
The Honda Odyssey is a stylish, spacious minivan. But what about if you need more space than what your Honda Odyssey offers? If so, it’s time to consider a roof cargo box. But, with so many types of roof boxes available, where do you start?
Fortunately, we’re here to assist you in choosing the perfect roof box for a Honda Odyssey.
In this review, we’ll explain:
- If it’s possible or not to put a roof cargo box on a Honda Odyssey
- Next, we’ll cover our list of the best roof cargo boxes for Honda Odyssey owners.
- We’ll also explain in detail how to install a roof cargo box.
If you’re ready, let’s get started with your guide to choosing the best roof cargo box for a Honda Odyssey.
The Best Honda Odyssey Roof Cargo Boxes Comparison
Is It Possible To Put a Roof Cargo Box on a Honda Odyssey?
Before you buy a roof box for a Honda Odyssey, it’s important to know whether or not this item will fit your car. Fortunately, we’re glad to let you know that the large size of Honda’s Odyssey makes it perfect for a roof cargo box.
Now that you know your Honda Odyssey can support a roof box, it’s time to learn more about which ones are the best. We also recently wrote about how to choose the best roof rack for a Honda Civic.
The Best Honda Odyssey Roof Cargo Boxes: Review
It’s now time to take a closer look at the best roof cargo boxes for a Honda Odyssey. Coming up with this list was the product of extensive hours researching and testing roof boxes. We also took an extensive look at which roof boxes were the most popular and most highly reviewed.
We’re happy with our findings, and we’ll think you will be too. Here are the best Honda Odyssey roof cargo boxes.
JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier:
- SECURE & PROTECT YOUR GEAR in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell car top cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 39 W x 19-1/2 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- WATERPROOF STORAGE FOR YOUR LUGGAGE with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- EASY & CONVENIENT LOADING AND UNLOADING from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED, EASY ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- MADE IN USA, LIMITED LIFETIME GUARANTEE. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
If you’re looking for a durable roof cargo box for your Honda Odyssey, look no further than the JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier. Made from HDPE plastic, you can rest assured that this roof cargo box can stand up to the elements. It’s also waterproof, which means no worrying about rain, snow, or hail damaging what’s inside of your roof cargo box.
Another great feature of this item is that you can load and unload it from either side of this roof box. Such convenient loading and unloading make it easy for a driver or passengers to access their cargo.
What we and other reviewers love about the JEGS roof cargo box is that you don’t need any tools to install it. This means no getting out the toolbox and sorting through your screwdrivers. Everything you need to install this roof cargo box comes with it.
Now, let’s get to the specs of this roof cargo box. It’s 61.25 inches long, 39 inches wide, and 12 inches tall. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier weighs a total of 35 pounds and provides 18 cubic feet of storage space.
SportRack Vista XL:
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
Another popular roof cargo box for a Honda Odyssey is the SportRack Vista XL Rear Opening Cargo Box. Providing 18 cubic feet of space, this cargo box has plenty of room. Because it opens from the rear, this roof cargo box is perfect for people who want to access their cargo privately.
This roof cargo box also comes with tool-free mounting hardware. With this type of hardware, it’s easy to both mount and unmount your new roof box. The SportRack Vista XL is made from extremely durable ABS thermoplastic. This material is also UV-resistant, meaning the sun’s rays won’t damage or discolor your roof box.
The SportRack Vista XL features a 100-pound weight capacity. This roof cargo box is 63 inches long, 38 inches wide, and 19 inches tall.
Goplus Cargo Box Waterproof Carrier:
- Perfect for Road Trip---Take the cargo box to the park, the beach, the sports field, or any place you need to store. Works on all vehicles with rack, suitable for cars, vans, SUVs, etc. Sleek aerodynamic design to reduce drag and has less noise.
- 14 Cubic Feet of Cargo Space---With the large capacity, the roof cargo box can help you securely carry 14 cubic feet worth of essentials, can increase vehicle cargo space without impeding on passenger comfort, more capacity, more pleasure!
- Robust and Security Design---The roof cargo box is designed to withstand heavy use in different types of weather conditions. The metal lid stiffeners at the bottom makes the roof box more stable and safer. With the double-lock design for protecting your valuables. 【Note】This product is suitable for vehicles with rack (the width of the luggage rack is adjusted to between 16.1 inches and 24.8 inches, and the width of the roof crossbar is less than 3.1 inches).
- High Quality Material---The roof box is manufactured from sturdy ABS and PC material for long-lasting use, able to protect your valuables from exposure to the elements and can load 165 lbs capacity, suitable for round, square, factory and most aerodynamic bars.
- Easy to Install---The Goplus roof box equipped with 4 quick connect anchors for easy install and super latch security ensures your lid secure to its base, and your gear is safe. Dual-sided opening for easy access on either side of your vehicle to increased efficiency and convenience.【Note: please do not open the openings on both sides at the same time. The key can only be removed after the cover is closed and locked.】
You might also be interested in the Goplus Cargo Box Waterproof Carrier. This roof cargo box is available in either Titanium Gray or White. The Goplus Cargo Box provides you with 14 cubic feet of cargo space. While it’s not as much space as other roof boxes provide, it should provide ample room for your items.
Like other roof boxes in this list, the Goplus Cargo Box is made from ABS thermoplastic. This durability ensures that this roof cargo box has a 165-pound weight capacity, making it one of the strongest roof boxes for a Honda Odyssey. Plus, this item features a dual-sided opening. Having this item open on both sides makes it easy for anyone to load or unload their cargo.
What’s also great about this roof cargo box is how easy it is to install. Featuring a system of quick-connect anchors, you should be able to install this roof box in just a few minutes. This roof box weighs 25 pounds. It is 63 inches long, 31 inches wide, and 15 inches tall.
Rightline Gear Sport Car Top Carrier:
- 100% WATERPROOF CONSTRUCTION: welded seams and SZIP waterproof zipper; no zipper flap required.
- ATTACHES WITH OR WITHOUT A ROOF RACK: Attach the carrier's straps to a vehicle’s roof rack or use the Car Clips to attach the straps to a vehicle's door frame weather molding.
- X-LARGE CAPACITY DESIGN: 18 cubic feet of storage; 48" L x 36" W x 18" H; Designed for SUVs and minivans.
- EASY TO INSTALL: Your bag comes with everything you need to load it up, attach it, and hit the road in minutes! Includes carrier, (4) attachment straps, (4) Car Clips, and stuff sack with sewn-in set up guide.
If the other items in this list weren’t for you, it might be time to consider the Rightline Gear Sport Car Top Carrier. This roof cargo box offers 18 cubic feet of space. The main drawback of this product is that it’s not made from durable plastic. Instead, it’s made from a combination of nylon and polyester.
If you don’t require a roof box made from plastic, this item has quite a few beneficial features. Its largest size offers 18 cubic feet of space. If the previously mentioned size is too large for your vehicle, this car top carrier is also available in 15 and 10 cubic feet options.
The Rightline Gear Sport Car Top Carrier is 48 inches long, 36 inches wide, and 18 inches tall. What’s great about this roof box is that it only weighs 7.57 pounds, making it perfect for those who don’t want something heavy.
Thule Sidekick Cargo Box:
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External Dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 in
Lastly, we wanted to give a special mention to the Thule Sidekick Cargo Box. This roof box is somewhat smaller than the other picks in this list. However, it’s still a great roof box for storing your golf clubs or sleeping bags. This is a similar product to the Thule Force XT Roof Box.
You won’t have to worry about this cargo box going anywhere once it’s on your Honda Odyssey’s roof. With its durable U-bolts and reinforcement plates, you can rest assured that your roof box is securely installed.
The Thule Sidekick Cargo Box opens from the passenger side. It also opens wide, making it easy to store or take out items in your roof cargo box. This item also includes two security locks, meaning you’ll never have to worry about your roof box staying open. Also, the durability of the Thule Sidekick means it holds up well to wear and tear.
This roof cargo box provides 8 cubic feet of storage space and weighs only 16 pounds. It offers a 75-pound load capacity. The measurements of this roof cargo box are 54 inches long, 25 inches wide, and 15.5 inches tall.
How Do I Install a Roof Cargo Box on a Honda Odyssey?
Before you get started installing a roof cargo box on your Honda Odyssey, you might need a few things. One of the most important things to get, if you don’t have it already, is a set of roof rack rails. These items provide the support that your roof cargo box will likely need.
As with anything, especially roof rack rails, it’s always best to use genuine Honda parts whenever possible. Fortunately, you can find genuine Honda roof rack rails on Amazon! These roof rack rails are perfect for a Honda Odyssey and provide 165 pounds of maximum load capacity.
Step 1: First, you’ll need to gather all of your installation items. In most cases, this should be the roof box itself and any tools that come with it. However, you might want to grab a screwdriver. We also recommend having another person help you move your roof cargo box to the top of your vehicle.
Step 2: At this point, you’ll need to determine whether you’re installing a roof cargo box on a vehicle with or without roof racks. If your car has racks, secure the mount of your cargo box to the roof racks. If you don’t have roof racks, you’ll want to consider buying the genuine Honda roof racks mentioned earlier.
Step 3: It’s now time to place your roof cargo box on top of its mount. As mentioned, it might be a good idea to have another person help you with this step. With the mount secured, you can now place your roof box on top of your automobile. Once the roof box is on your car, secure it. It might also be a good idea to take a slow test drive around your neighborhood with the roof box secured on your vehicle’s roof.
Here’s a video generalized installation guideline:
We hope that you found this guide to Honda Odyssey roof boxes valuable. If you’d like to learn more about roof boxes, we encourage you to visit theroofboxes.com. On this website, you’ll find the latest news and reviews for all types of roof boxes. We also have helpful walkthroughs and other kinds of roof box-related content you won’t want to miss!
Last update on 2021-10-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API