Pickup Truck Bed Racks are a great way to carry extra cargo without needing a trailer or roof rack. They are typically mounted behind the cab of your truck and can provide enough space for kayaks, ladders, wood, tools - basically anything you need.
Racks come in many different styles, depending on what kind of driving experience you want out of them. If you plan on mainly off-roading, then it probably makes sense to get something that is very durable but not as much storage capacity compared with if you were just looking at carrying some bikes around town once in a while. Let's take a look at some of the best pickup truck bed racks on the market.
What are Pickup Truck Bed Racks?
Pickup truck bed racks are a great way to add on additional storage space for all kinds of different things. If you are a more adventurous type, then having the ability to go off-roading with your truck will be essential, so something like a ladder rack might make sense.
While if you just need some extra room in the back for hauling cargo around town once in a while, a simple utility style will work fine.
No matter what kind of driving experience or activity that you plan on doing though it's always a good idea to have an easy place from which to access whatever it is that you're planning on putting into your pickup bed without having to get out of the driver seat every time that you want something out.
Steel Pick Up Truck Ladder Utility Racks
One of the most durable and long-lasting styles of pickup truck bed racks available today is a steel design. These often come in either ladder or utility style options with heavy-duty construction to allow them to hold up well over many years of regular use.
Made from strong metal tubing, these types will be able to take on very high loads, which makes them great for adding additional cargo space as needed without sacrificing any vehicle safety at all. However, the ability to easily remove and reattach each one when it's not required means that they don't interfere much with daily driving duties either if you want something like this added onto your existing ride.
The Benefits and Features of Pickup Truck Bed Racks
A Pickup Truck Bed Rack can be a very useful addition to any pickup truck owner's collection of tools. They are available in both ladder and utility-style options with heavy-duty construction to allow them to hold up well over many years of regular use. Some of the main features of pickup truck bed racks include:
- They have a lightweight design that doesn't add much weight to the truck's overall load.
- Pickup Truck Bed Racks are available in both ladder and utility styles with models for most pickups, including Ford, Chevy/GMC, Nissan, Toyota, and more.
- A low profile is beneficial while still allowing some storage space inside the bed when it isn't in use.
- Heavy-duty construction that can hold up well over many years of regular use without sagging, bending or breaking down no matter the weather conditions outside.
- A selection of models is available for most major truck brands, including Ford, Chevy/GMC, Nissan, and Toyota, among others, so you can be sure one will fit your specific make and model.
As more people begin using pickup trucks as family vehicles, it's essential they have access to some type of bed rack. It provides them with a way to transport their tools around town and allows them to use them on their own custom vehicle, which makes these racks an excellent choice.
Easy Installation is Ideal
When looking for a bed rack to add to your truck, look for a model that is easy to install, provides a wide range of uses, and works with all your gear.
Easy installation is one of the most ideal features of a pickup truck bed rack. With the right tools, any rack can be installed within minutes of taking it out of the box.
Go for Versatility
Versatility is another important feature that's often overlooked when deciding on a pickup truck bed rack. You want to make sure you're purchasing something that will work with all your gear and one which provides plenty of space for organizing everything in an orderly fashion.
Truck bed racks can be used for multiple purposes, such as:
Organizing and transporting fishing gear, including rods and reels.
Securing a kayak to the pickup truck bed for easy transport without needing extra tie-downs or anchors.
Securing an ATV with your roof rack securely and safely using straps (hitch mount racks only).
Durability and Quality Materials
When looking for a bed rack to add to your truck, look for one with an aluminum build as they are lightweight and durable. You'll want something you can easily attach and detach whenever required without the need for any tools or drilling into your vehicle.
The durability of materials used in manufacturing is important, especially if you want something which can hold up against tough weather conditions like rain or snow. Look for powder coating over steel construction with tube thickness around 0.12 inches thick or more, depending on how rugged it needs to be.
Depending on how much storage space you require, there are models available from half-load bars up through full-size designs, so be sure it will work with everything else you have stored inside before making your purchase decision. If you are not sure how it will work out, ask to see if you can test ride one and bring whatever items you plan on putting in your pickup bed with you.
Look for a Sturdy Frame
Pickup truck racks should securely hold whatever is inside without swaying or other movements that could indicate a design flaw or something which wasn't properly assembled.
The last thing anyone wants when driving down the road at high speeds is for their trunk rack to unexpectedly come loose and fall off, resulting in damage caused by flying debris as well as injuries from objects hitting people who happen to be walking near where it falls.
Security features such as locks or bolts used during final assembly; pay attention because some brands might use zip ties instead of actual types of hardware, so do a quick once over to ensure that there isn't anything that is suspect.
A good design should allow for easy access into the truck bed itself; it can be really frustrating when you have tie-down straps wrapped around everything and making it difficult actually to get inside of your vehicle's storage space.
A side note here, some racks are designed with holes drilled at either end, so you can use a padlock or even standard bungee cords but make sure this is what you want before buying one because many brands do not include these features as part of their base models.
What is Best Pickup Truck Bed Rack
Let’s look at the six best pickup truck bed racks on the market and see what sets them apart from the pack!
Pickup Truck Bed Racks: Comparison
#1. Universal Extendable Pick-Up Truck Rack
The Universal Extendable Pickup Truck Rack on amazon from Amazon is sold for $769.00. This pickup truck rack is made from aluminum and has a weight capacity of 800 pounds. The rack features adjustable extension legs that allow you to easily install the rack on any truck bed, regardless of size or shape.
The Universal Extendable Pickup Truck Rack can be really frustrating when tie-down straps are wrapped around everything and making it difficult to actually get inside your vehicle's storage space.
Stand Out Features of the Universal Extendable Pickup Truck Rack
Some of the most significant stand out features of the Universal Extendable Pickup Truck Rack includes:
- This rack is designed to fit any vehicle while providing exceptional utility and versatility while responding to various load conditions.
- For vehicles with utility track systems, you'll need to take the track off. Toyota and Nissan models are the exceptions.
- The maximum on-road capacity is 800 lbs., with a 500-pound off-road limit. It's simple to put together.
- Adjustable height from 17.3 to 27.5 inches; width may be customized to fit a variety of truck bed sizes.
- To haul kayaks, surfboards, bicycles, rooftop tents, and other objects of similar size and weight.
- Engineered aluminum construction and durable powder-coat finish;
Most pickup truck owners face a common issue is where to store their equipment, especially if they are hunters or work in construction. For this reason, many manufacturers have started making bed racks for trucks, but not all of them will give you the performance and quality that you might expect.
When looking at The Universal Extendable Pickup Truck Rack, it is important to keep its dimensions in mind because while some people may think it looks great on one truck model, others might find problems with how well it fits onto their own pickups.
#2. MAXXHAUL 50241 Adjustable Steel Pick Up Truck Ladder Utility Rack
The MaxxHaul Adjustable pickup truck rack on mazon is an excellent choice for people whose trucks have tall beds because it can be extended from 44.25 inches to 61 inches in length, so you don't have to worry about the items that you are carrying being too tall or not fitting on your truck bed.
The rack is also adjustable in width, and the way it mounts onto a truck's side rails helps distribute weight evenly across its surface while minimizing scratching of paintwork, thanks to rubber padding strips at each end. The MaxxHaul Adjustable Pickup truck rack is sold on Amazon for $168.99
Stand Out Features of the MAXXHAUL 50241 Steel Pick Up Truck Ladder Utility Rack
The stand out features of the MaxxHaul Steel Pickup bed rack includes:
- The MaxxHaul Pickup Truck Rack features hooks that allow you to attach tie-down straps (not included) through them and under whatever equipment or supplies that need securing; this will help prevent things from shifting around when driving over bumpy roads.
- It is constructed from heavy-duty all-steel with triangular gusset reinforcements on vertical support to prove stability.
- Anchor points are conveniently accessible on crossbars to allow for a wide range of tie-down possibilities.
- Width adjusts from 52” to 71” to fit most truck beds.
- Features J-bolt mounting system for no-drill mounting.
- End caps are included to keep water and debris from entering support.
- Includes a pair of uprights.
The MaxxHaul Pickup Truck rack is perfect for transporting ladders, kayaks, lumber, tools, and cargo. The MaxxHaul Pickup Truck Rack has a triangular gusset reinforcement for better sturdiness. Heavy-Duty All-Steel Construction.
It features anchors rectangular in shape and conveniently located on crossbars to give you lots of tie-down choices. To fit most truck beds, the width may be adjusted from 52” to 71.”
#3. AA-Racks Model X31 Extendable Pick-Up Truck Rack
The AA Racks Extendable Pickup Truck rack on amazon is perfect for transporting ladders, kayaks, lumber, tools, and cargo. The AA Racks Extendable Pickup Truck Rack has a triangular gusset reinforcement for better sturdiness. Heavy-Duty All-Steel Construction.
It features anchors rectangular in shape and conveniently located on crossbars to give you lots of tie-down choices. To fit most truck beds, the width may be adjusted from 52” to 71”. This Pickup truck rack is sold for $179.90
Stand Out Features of the AA-Racks Model X31 Extendable Pick-Up Truck Rack
The standout features of the AA Racks Pickup Truck Rack include:
- Heavy Duty All Steel Construction
- Tie-down options include a triangle gusset for sturdiness and rectangular anchors that allow you to choose the tie-down location.
- It fits 52" – 71" truck beds width-wise, adjustable by adding or taking away crossbars.
- It has a capacity of 800 pounds. It is powder-coated in the color of black and has a rope hook on each upright for securing tools or goods.
- There are FIVE drilling holes on the upright plate, which make X31 more compatible with bolting on different sizes of bed margins.
- The middle section is made up of two "T" sleeve bars and a Middle Cross Bar. The double-barred middle portion is far more resistant to denting and bending than a one-barred design, making it even more robust.
The AA Racks Pickup Truck rack is ideal for most vehicles. It is an extremely smart design that will keep your bed safe. This pickup truck rack offers a flexible and convenient way to transport tools and other large items while also protecting your truck bed.
#4. TMS Universal Truck Bed Cover Rack Crossbars
The TMS Universal Truck Bed rack on amazon is an excellent option for those who want a budget-friendly rack. This universal pickup truck bed covers crossbars will fit most trucks, and it is guaranteed to be compatible with all TMS accessories, including the Universal Truck Bed Cover.
This Truck Rack delivers on both quality and performance, making this one of the best options available today! The main bar provides excellent support and exceptional durability while also increasing your cargo space by allowing you to lay items over top of it.
On top of that, the adjustable tie-down points allow you to secure smaller items which means no more lost or fallen objects inside your vehicle's cabin or trunk area! Finally, its aerodynamic shape ensures maximum fuel efficiency and helps reduce wind noise during highway driving. This rack is sold on Amazon for $249.95.
Stand Out Features of the TMS Universal Truck Bed Cover Rack Crossbars
The stand out features of the TMS Universal Truck Bed Rack include its
- Accessory items such as a bike rack or rooftop tent are supported by the truck rack, which provides the platform for installation.
- A single-point track can be adjusted to accommodate a wide range of truck bed widths and sizes. According to the truck bed width, the track may be altered. From 8'', height can be increased to 9 1/2'.
- The handle is made of high-quality aluminum, which is lightweight and long-lasting.
- Universal fit: Compatible with a different model of truck bed.
- Drilling required.
- Load capacity 800Lb.
- Compatible with truck bed Tonneau covers or truck caps/camper shells and vehicles with racks. A great option for Truck Bed Caps and RVs.
The TMS Universal Truck Bed Rack is a great option for Truck Bed Caps and RVs. This truck bed rack is compatible with Tonneau covers or Truck caps/Camper shells and vehicles with racks installed. The TMS Universal Rack has an adjustable height of up to 16 inches, allowing it to work on a large variety of trucks, including short beds, long beds, crew cabs, etc.
At the same time, the single-point track makes installation easy by allowing you to alter the height depending on your vehicle's width. You can also altogether remove this top-mounted crossbar if needed, thanks to its quick-release design, so there are no bolts required when installing it!
#5. TMS Low Profile Universal Aluminum Utility Truck Rack
The TMS Low-Profile Universal Truck Rack on amazon is a lower-profile version of many of the other racks on this list. It is specifically designed to fit most utes and trucks with a low profile, including short beds, long beds, crew cabs, etc.
The aluminum construction of this truck rack makes it very lightweight yet strong at the same time and allows for good heat dissipation, which means you can leave your tray on even when it's hot outside without worrying about the build-up of heat causing problems!
It also has an adjustable height from 16-inches to 19-inches, depending on where you need to put things, so whether you have a short bed or a long one, there will be no problem getting this rack high enough. This rack is sold on Amazon for $129.95
Stand Out Features of the TMS Low Profile Universal Aluminum Utility Truck Rack
The Stand Out Features of the TMS Low-Profile Universal Truck Rack includes:
- Aluminum construction for strength and superior heat dissipation
- Adjustable height from 16.75 inches to 19 inches to accommodate short or long bed trucks
- Soft rubber feet that protect your truck paint while securely holding the rack in place on top of your bed rail without any drilling required!
- The racks serve as the base for accessories like the Bike Kayaks Rack and RoofTop Tent.
- The track can be adjusted to fit the width of your truck's bed. The length of the bar is 71''. All hardware included.
- It is made of high-quality aluminum—lightweight and durable.
- It is compatible with most models of truck beds.
- Drilling required.
- Load capacity 350Lb
The TMS Ultra Low Profile Truck Rack on amazon is an excellent choice if you're looking for an aluminum utility truck rack with adjustable height, good build quality, and ease of installation at a reasonable price point. It's easily one of the best choices out there right now when compared against other models such as Thule, Inno, or Rhino due to its low profile design which means it sits nice and flush with no overhang - making this model very sleek.
#6. MaxxHaul 70231 Hitch Mount Truck Bed Extender
The MaxxHaul Truck Bed Extender on amazon is a hitch-mount version of the truck bed rack. Though this type of pickup truck bed rack is less common and convenient, there are still some great benefits you can get from a bed rack like this one.
The MaxxHaul Truck Bed Extender has a weight capacity of 500 pounds. It also comes in two different sizes, for either short box or long box trucks. This truck bed extender fits Class III hitches and measures 26" x 60", weighing 45 pounds. You can find this product on Amazon for $79.99
Stand Out Features of the MaxxHaul 70231 Hitch Mount Truck Bed Extender
Some of the most significant stand out features of the MaxxHaul Hitch Mount Bed Extender include:
- Two different sizes, for either short or long box trucks
- Can hold up to 500 pounds
- Extends your truck bed for carrying longer payloads, designed to fit a 2-Inch hitch receiver
- Adjustable length and width give versatility for use in many different applications.
- Features 4 quick release clevis pins for quick assembly and disassembly
- Reflective tape on front and sides for visibility and safety
- Sidearms can be folded down, creating the supports for a portable work area
The MaxxHaul Truck Bed Extender is a great way to turn your truck into a moving workstation! It is a flexible alternative to the standard pickup truck bed rack that can hold up to 500 pounds. The MaxxHaul Truck Bed Extender is made for short and long box trucks with a hitch receiver, giving you the versatility that you need to use it on different applications.
It features four quick-release clevis pins, so assembly and disassembly are easy as pie! Not only does this truck bed extender feature reflective tape on the front and sides, but it also creates supports for a portable work area when you fold down its sidearms.
This Maxxhaul 70231 Hitch Mount Truck Bed Extender has everything you've been looking for: durability, convenience, safety - all at an affordable price!
Bestselling Pickup Truck Bed Racks on Amazon
A pickup truck bed rack is an excellent strategy to carry extra cargo without needing a trailer or roof rack. They are typically mounted behind the cab of your truck and can provide enough space for kayaks, ladders, wood, tools - basically anything you need.
Last update on 2023-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API