The last thing you want when transporting your luggage is for it to get wet. Not only is it an inconvenience, but it can ruin some types of clothing and electronics. If you're carrying some of your luggage on the roof, then rain is a natural hazard that can pop up at any time.
Since you can't control the weather, buying a waterproof rooftop cargo bag is your best bet. It will keep all your cargo nice and dry for the duration of your trip.
That way, you can protect your electronics, leather clothing, and precious outdoor gear. You'll also enjoy total peace of mind behind the wheel. Should some dark clouds emerge from the horizon, you won't have any worries at all.
Like anything else, waterproof rooftop cargo bag options will vary in quality.
We want to make sure that you wind up with the best waterproof bag for your needs. That's why we're providing our top 6 picks for the best waterproof cargo bags on the market right now.
#6: Rightline Cargo Bag
we have this fantastic extra large waterproof cargo carrier bag from Rightline. It's completely weatherproof, capable of protecting your luggage from rain, wind, and snow.
If you're driving through extreme weather, then you need the Rightline Cargo Bag.
It features a UV-protected PVC XT semi-coated mesh material. It's strong enough to withstand impacts from debris on the road and soft enough to fold up for storage at home.
It also has a hook-and-loop-close flap that protects the zipper from getting wet.
A common oversight other cargo bags make is not reinforcing the zipper. As a result, water and snow can get inside and make your luggage wet. The Rightline Cargo Bag corrects this oversight with its protective flap.
Its design can accommodate roofs with or without crossbars. If your vehicle has a flat roof, you can use the four-car clips included in the package to install it in no time. Its four attachment straps will attach to any roof rack or crossbars.
With 18 cubic feet of storage, you'll be able to carry a ton of cargo. It's big enough to hold 6-7 suitcases, tents, emergency equipment, and more.
Other features include:
- Universal fit for all cars, trucks, and SUVs
- An extra-large waterproof carrier bag with UV-protected material
- Straightforward installation process
- Welded seams for increased durability
Are Rooftop Bags Waterproof?
Lots of drivers want to know if rooftop bags are waterproof for obvious reasons. The good news is that nearly every single rooftop cargo bag comes with waterproofing.
The difference lies in the type of waterproofing that they choose.
Certain types of waterproof materials work better than others. When buying a waterproof rooftop cargo bag, you should pay close attention to the reviews. Also, make sure that the bag features a sturdy material that has weatherproofing.
As long as you stick to the bags that we feature on this list, you won't have any worries about your cargo bag getting wet.
#5: RoofBag Rooftop Cargo Carrier
Roofpax Car Roof Bag featured on Amazon. This waterproof rooftop cargo carrier features military-grade waterproofing.
It features a waterproof double seam technology as well as a water repellent double coating. The reinforced layer makes sure that no condensation can get through the bag.
You'll also enjoy a built-in protective mat for the roof of your car. It will keep your roof scratch and bruise-free for the duration of your journey. To prevent the straps from flapping around, Roofpax included ten elastic strap restrainers. That will do a lot to reduce the noise straps make at higher speeds.
So what can you store inside this bag? Anything that you want. With 19 cubic feet of storage space, you'll be able to hold six suitcases and still have room for more. It's an ideal bag to bring if you're packing for a large family vacation.
It's also extremely safe, with six free door hooks included in the package. These hooks will avoid you having to run straps through the interior of your car. If you didn't know, running straps inside your car is a safety hazard and can interfere with your airbags deploying. Cargo bags with such straps are illegal in many states.
With this bag, you won't have to worry about your zippers or buckles breaking and tearing. That's because it comes with a lifetime warranty for both. Roofpax also guarantees your total satisfaction.
Essential features of this bag include:
- Extra-large size with 19 cubic feet of storage space
- Works with or without a roof rack or crossbars
- Military-grade waterproofing and durable materials
- Universal fit for all vehicles
- A heavy-duty zipper, seam reinforcement, ten straps, and ten restrainers
- Lifetime warranty after activation on the website
- Free door hooks included for safety purposes
Are Roof Top Cargo Bags Safe?
As long as you properly install them, waterproof rooftop cargo carrier bags are 100% safe. You should know some best practices to keep things safe with your cargo. Here are a few guidelines to follow:
- Use door hooks to attach straps instead of fastening them to the interior of your car. If you have straps dangling down through the inside, they could interfere with your airbags deploying. To stay safe, make sure that no straps are dangling through the interior of your car.
- Pay close attention to the roof weight limit of your vehicle. Every vehicle is different with how much weight they can transport on top. Most cars have a weight limit of 100 to 160 pounds. Weigh your cargo before putting it on the roof to doubly make sure. If you're carrying too much weight, you could offset the balance of your vehicle and cause an accident.
- Follow the directions related to roof racks. Lots of waterproof rooftop cargo bag options will work with or without a roof rack. Yet, they will have different installation methods for both. It's imperative to follow the directions for each technique closely. If your roof bag is installed incorrectly on your roof rack, it could fall off, ruining your cargo.
#4: RoofBag Rooftop Cargo Carrier
RoofBag Rooftop Cargo Carrier is a wildly popular option online. It's affordably priced, has fantastic reviews, and is an all-around reliable bag.
There are also multiple sizes available, with small, medium, large, and X-large options. The tiniest options contain 11 cubic feet of storage space, and the larger ones include 15.
It's unique in that it has only two straps laid out seat-belt style. They're both durable, wide, and adjustable. It's a very sturdy way of attaching a rooftop cargo bag to your vehicle.
Of course, it's 100% waterproof, complete with waterproof zippers and straps. All your luggage and gear will stay completely dry, even during a downpour. No stitching means that there are no vulnerable seams that can tear and rip.
Another one-of-a-kind feature is its aerodynamic design. While other cargo bags will ruin your fuel economy, the RoofBag carrier will not. Instead, it features a sleek design that will not slow you down at all. Not only that, but its unique strap design means that it won't make any noise at all.
So if you want a cargo bag that won't make a ton of noise and won't affect your speed, this is the carrier for you.
Other crucial features include:
- No harmful chemicals
- Peel-proof and tear-resistant
- Fantastic customer service to ensure satisfaction
- Full protection against water penetration
- An aerodynamic design that won't affect speed or fuel economy
- Safe straps that are wide and durable
- Noise-free design
- 15 cubic feet of storage space that can fit six suitcases and more
- Folds up into a handy storage bag to keep at home
Can You Put a Roof Bag on a Sunroof?
For the most part, vehicle manufacturers don't want you to put cargo bags on sunroofs. There's a good reason for this, as excessive weight can ruin a sunroof.
If your cargo bag doesn't have a protective mat, the damage can become even worse. The last thing that you want, as sunroof repairs are costly.
So does that mean that you can't carry more cargo on vehicles with sunroofs? Not at all. The best thing you can do is install a roof rack. That way, you can have cargo bags, and they won't make contact with the glass on your sunroof.
A roof rack will allow you to choose from soft cargo bags and hard-shell cargo boxes. To learn more about the differences between the two, check out this comparison that we did.
Another option for sunroof owners is to go with a hitch-style cargo carrier. As long as you have hitching capabilities, you can transport your cargo from behind your car instead of on top.
While some models of soft cargo carriers claim that you can use them on the sunroof, it's better to be safe than sorry
#3: Asani Waterproof Car Roof Top Cargo Carrier Bag
This Asani waterproof cargo carrier features excellent reviews online. With triple-layered waterproofing, including the zipper, it's clear why users love it. Your luggage will stay safe from rain, wind, grit, debris, heat, and more.
Due to the triple-layering of weatherproofing, this bag will last for many years. Other cheaper bags feature less reinforcement and will wear out quickly.
Another massive benefit of this cargo bag is its pricing. At the meager price of $44.99, it's one of the most affordable bags on the market. It's also very high-quality, so it's a great deal for the price.
A roof rack is required for this model. So if you don't have crossbars or a roof rack, you'll need to get one before you can use it. While this may deter some users, roof racks are relatively inexpensive and easy to install.
Fifteen cubic feet of storage space will give you plenty of room to store everything you need for your vacation. Suitcases, swimwear, flippers, goggles, and so much more will easily fit into this carrier.
Other essential features include:
- Compactly folds down to the size of a tablet for convenient storage at home
- Lifetime warranty and guaranteed satisfaction
- Effortless installation with eight reinforced straps
- Soft sides that flex to accommodate oddly-shaped cargo
- Extremely affordable price
- Triple-layer waterproofing
#2: Sihanm Car Roof Bag Cargo Carrier
This Sihanm offering is an extra-large waterproof cargo carrier bag. It's got an impressive 20 cubic feet of storage space. You can easily fit up to eight suitcases as well as other gear and items. If you're taking a gigantic family on vacation with you, then you'll need a carrier such as this.
Of course, it's completely waterproof, including a waterproof flap for the zipper. Weak seams aren't an issue here, with double reinforcing of them all. They're heat-welded and stitched for enhanced durability. This bag is completely waterproof and tear-proof.
It has a universal fit, and it works with or without a roof rack. Not only that but there's an anti-slip mat to protect the roof of your car and to avoid sway. Its main features include:
- 24-hour online customer service to resolve any issues
- Universal fit with four-door hooks and four strong straps
- Upgraded waterproofing included a waterproof zipper
- Massive storage space with 20 cubic feet
- Affordably priced
#1: Fivklemnz Car Roof Bag
Fivklemnz Car Roof Bag. It's the #1 best-seller on Amazon and is the most versatile of all the offerings. It features incredible waterproofing as well as reinforced flaps. For enhanced safety, they include four-door hooks, eight straps, and an anti-slip mat. Once you install it, this waterproof cargo carrier bag won't be going anywhere.
It's affordable, and it comes with a 100% refund or replacement guarantee. With 15 cubic feet of storage space, it can easily fit all the luggage that you need to take with you.
You can attach it to any car, truck, or SUV. It also works with or without a roof rack. It's a highly versatile and lightweight bag that will fit the needs of most. It comes with a storage bag, and it folds up so that you can fit it anywhere at home.
Its features include:
- 15 cubic feet of storage space
- Effortless installation and a universal fit
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Affordable price
- Superior waterproofing
- Four-door hooks and eight safety straps
Bestselling waterproof rooftop cargo bag on Amazon
Those are our picks for the absolute best waterproof rooftop cargo bag options available right now. If you want to drive without the fear of running into the rain, any one of these options will work perfectly. To learn more about soft rooftop cargo carriers, check out this exclusive list. Also, don't forget to check us out at The Roof Boxes.
Last update on 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API