When talking about some of the most popular automobile manufacturers, it’s hard to not include Toyota in this conversation. Toyota is the automobile manufacturer behind popular vehicles, including the Camry, Corolla, Highlander and 4Runner.
The Toyota 4Runner is a spacious and sleek SUV with plenty of power for the road ahead. While the Toyota 4Runner is a great automobile, you might be an owner of this vehicle that’s quickly running out of space.
Fortunately, a great solution for the most crowded of vehicles is a roof cargo box. Roof cargo boxes are items made to fit on top of your vehicle. But how do you find the best roof box for your vehicle? After all, there are many roof boxes available for sale online. We’re here to help!
In this review, we’ll go over:
- Whether or not you can put a roof box on a 4Runner.
- The best roof cargo boxes for a Toyota 4Runner.
- Step-by-step instructions for how to install a roof box.
Are you ready to get started? Let’s get right into it.
The Best Roof Cargo Box for a Toyota 4Runner Comparison
Can You Put a Roof Box on a Toyota 4Runner?
We’re happy to let you know you can install most roof boxes on a Toyota 4Runner. Thanks to a large amount of roof space, it should be quite easy to install a roof cargo box on this vehicle. Most Toyota 4Runner automobiles come with roof rack rails that make installing a roof box incredibly simple.
The Best Roof Cargo Box for a Toyota 4Runner: Review
It’s now time to take a closer look at some of the most popular and best-rated roof cargo boxes for a Toyota 4Runner. To come up with all of our picks, we thoroughly researched the best roof cargo boxes on the market.
Thule Motion XT Rooftop Cargo Carrier:
- Oversized roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
One of the first things you’ll notice about the Thule Motion XT is its sleek design and finish. Made from durable materials, you can rest assured that this item will safely hold your belongings. Plus, the glossy finish is sure to turn heads wherever you drive. This roof cargo box features 16 cubic feet of cargo space.
An important concern for any roof cargo box owner is safety. Fortunately, the Thule Motion XT GrandTour rooftop cargo box has plenty of safety features. This item comes with a removable torque knob that provides a secure attachment to your automobile. Another feature of this Thule Motion XT roof box is that it comes with interior tie-down points. With these tie-downs, you’ll have extra security knowing your items remain safe.
The Thule Motion XT GrandTour Premium roof cargo box can fit most round, square, aerodynamic, and factory bars. What’s also great about this roof box is that you don’t need any tools to install it. This roof box weighs 55 pounds. It’s 79 inches long, 35 inches wide, and 18 inches tall.
SportRack Vista XL Rear-Opening Cargo Box:
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
If you’re looking for a roof cargo box with a little more space, check out the SportRack Vista XL Rear-Opening Cargo Box. This roof cargo box can fit most SportRack roof rack systems. Like the YAKIMA Grand Tour roof box, this item also requires no special installation tools. This means no getting out your toolbox! Instead, everything you need to install this roof cargo box ships with this item.
One of the most notable features of this roof box is that it opens from the rear. Having a rear-opening roof cargo box is great for people who want to privately load and unload their cargo. The company behind this roof box manufactures this item with ABS thermoplastic. This material is incredibly durable and also resistant to UV rays, meaning you won’t have to worry about sunlight fading the color of your roof box.
The SportRack Vista XL weighs 28 pounds, making it one of the lightest roof cargo boxes on this list. This roof box is 62.5 inches long, 39 inches wide, and 19 inches tall.
Auto Dynasty Waterproof Rooftop Storage Box:
- ▶️ Heavy Duty ABS Plastic Construction
- ▶️ Overall Dimensions: 53" L x 34" W x 15" H
- ▶️ Opens to 14" Wide to Store Bulky Items
- ▶️ Capacity: 11 cu. ft. and up to 110 lbs
- ▶️ Opens from the Side and Stays Open Til you Close It
Another popular roof cargo box for a Toyota 4Runner is one from Auto Dynasty. The Auto Dynasty Waterproof Rooftop Storage Box offers ten cubic feet of cargo space. While this isn’t the most spacious cargo box on this list, it does leave you with room for many of your important items.
The manufacturers of this item make it with heavy-duty ABS plastic. This material helps ensure that your new roof box can withstand wear and tear. Plus, it’s easy to keep ABS plastic clean. All you need to clean this roof box is soap and water.
The Auto Dynasty roof box can open to 14 inches wide, which makes it easy to store bulkier items that might not easily fit in a typical roof box. What’s also cool about this item is that it opens from the side and stays that way until you close it.
This roof box weighs 39 pounds. It is 54 inches long, 24 inches wide, and 15 inches tall. It’s a little shorter than larger roof boxes, which is great if you want to place other items on your vehicle’s roof.
Thule Sidekick Rooftop Cargo Box:
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External Dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 in
If the previously mentioned roof boxes aren’t for you, it’s time to check out the Thule Sidekick Rooftop Cargo Box. This Thule roof box features eight cubic feet of cargo volume. We would recommend this roof box if you need extra storage space, but don’t want something too bulky on top of your car.
One of the features of the Thule Sidekick is that it comes with U-bolts and reinforcement plates. What’s great about these bolts and reinforcement plates is that they ensure your roof box remains secure. This roof cargo box opens from the passenger side. Another cool feature of this roof box from Thule is that it has two locks. With the dual-locking system, you won’t have to worry about your roof box suddenly opening.
Unlike most roof boxes that are only one color, this item features a gray top and a black bottom. The two-tone design is great if you want a roof box that looks a little different than everything else on the road.
Due to its small size, the Thule Sidekick Rooftop Cargo Box only weighs 3.7 pounds. This item is 54 inches long, 25 inches wide, and 15.5 inches tall.
JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier:
- SECURE & PROTECT YOUR GEAR in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell car top cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 39 W x 19-1/2 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- WATERPROOF STORAGE FOR YOUR LUGGAGE with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- EASY & CONVENIENT LOADING AND UNLOADING from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED, EASY ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- MADE IN USA, LIMITED LIFETIME GUARANTEE. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
Our last pick for a great Toyota 4Runner roof box is the JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier. This roof box provides you with 18 cubic feet of cargo space. This makes it one of the most spacious roof boxes for a Toyota 4Runner.
Another great quality of this roof box is its HDPE construction. This type of plastic is durable and able to safely keep all of your cargo secure. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier is also waterproof, which means it will keep your belongings safe from wind, hail, rain, and other elements.
Like certain other roof boxes in this list, the JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier also features a dual-side opening. This opening makes it easy for you and your passengers to easily access their items. You’ll also be glad to know that this roof box also requires no special installation tools.
The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier weighs 35 pounds. It is 61.25 inches long, 39 inches wide, and 12 inches tall.
How to Install a Roof Cargo Box on Your Toyota 4Runner
It’s now time to learn how to install a roof box on your Toyota 4Runner. Don’t worry; setting up a roof box on your Toyota 4Runner is very easy.
First things first, it’s time to get a look at the top of your vehicle. You’re doing this to check if there are roof rack rails on top of your Toyota 4Runner. Fortunately, most of these vehicles have this feature.
If your Toyota 4Runner doesn’t have roof rack rails, we have you covered. You’ll want to get a pair of Toyota Genuine Roof Rack Rails. These genuine roof rack rails are from Toyota, which means you can rest assured they’ll fit on your automobile.
Step 1: Get your roof box and any special installation tools you might need.
Step 2: Next, you’ll need to get your mount and secure it to the top of your vehicle. In most cases, you can knock this step out in just a few minutes. After installing it, make sure it doesn’t wobble.
Step 3: With your mount secured, it’s time to place the roof box on top of your Toyota 4Runner. In most cases, all you’ll need to do is set the roof box on top of your mount and secure it. Now, you’re all done. If you have the time, take a quick test drive to make sure your roof box stays in place.
Here’s a video generalized installation guideline:
We hope you enjoyed this look at the best roof cargo box for a Toyota 4Runner. This guide should help you determine what you’re looking for in a roof box. Some people want a large roof box, while others prefer something a little smaller. If you’d like to find out more about roof boxes, we encourage you to visit theroofboxes.com.
Last update on 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API