Roof Cargo Box For HONDA PILOET – Reviews and Comparison
The Honda Pilot is a midsize SUV that’s big on performance and style. It’s also quite a spacious vehicle. With that said, your Honda Pilot might be quickly running out of room. Fortunately, there’s a way to solve this problem, and that’s with a roof cargo box.
However, as you might already know, there are many roof cargo boxes available. With so many options, how do you find the best roof cargo box for a Honda Pilot? Fear not; our team of roof box experts is here to provide some help.
In this post, you’re going to learn about:
- If it’s possible to put a roof cargo box on a Honda Pilot.
- The top-rated roof boxes for a Honda Pilot.
- How to safely install a roof cargo box on this vehicle.
Are you ready to find the right roof cargo box for your Honda Pilot? If so, let’s get started!
The Best Roof Cargo Box for a Honda Pilot Comparison
What Is the Best Roof Box for a Honda Pilot?
Before we get into our top picks, you might want to know how we came up with them. We researched roof boxes for a Honda Pilot. Next, we narrowed down this large list based on a few criteria. Specifically, we wanted to only list roof boxes that had great reviews and performed well.
Thule Pulse Rooftop Cargo Box:
- Functional rooftop cargo box provides 14 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Rugged and durable design keep contents protected
- FastGrip quick-mount system assembles in minutes
- Passenger-side opening for easy loading and unloading
- Central Locking system provides maximum safety
The Thule Pulse Rooftop Cargo Box is available in three different sizes, Alpine, Medium, and Large. This roof box was designed with rugged and textured ABS plastic. With this material, you can rest assured that you’ll have a roof cargo box that is long-lasting. Every Thule Pulse rooftop cargo box has a weight capacity of 110 lbs.
Another cool feature of this roof box is that it utilizes a quick-mount system. This installation system makes it incredibly easy to install the Thule Pulse Rooftop Cargo Box. It also features a passenger-side opening. This large opening makes it easy to get your items or take them out of your roof cargo box.
Here are the differences between the three roof boxes:
Thule Pulse - Alpine: This roof box is 11 cubic feet and weighs 30 lbs. It can fit four to nine pairs of skis or two to three snowboards. The Thule Pulse Alpine roof box weighs 30 pounds. It is 88.5 inches long, 25.5 inches wide, and 12.5 inches tall.
Thule Pulse - Medium: The medium version of the Thule Pulse roof box provides 14 cubic feet of space and weighs 34 lbs. This roof cargo box is capable of storing three to four snowboards. It’s 67 inches long, 35 inches wide, and 16 inches tall.
Thule Pulse - Large: Lastly, there’s the large version of the Thule Pulse roof cargo box. This roof cargo box provides you with 16 cubic feet of cargo space. It can comfortably hold four to six pairs of skis or three to five snowboards. This roof box is a little heavier than the others, weighing 36 pounds. It is 76 inches long, 33 inches wide, and 16.5 inches tall.
JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier:
- SECURE & PROTECT YOUR GEAR in this 18 cubic ft. HDPE plastic hard shell car top cargo carrier; high-capacity interior dimensions 57 L x 39 W x 19-1/2 H inches; aerodynamic design for fuel efficiency
- WATERPROOF STORAGE FOR YOUR LUGGAGE with a four corner locking system, front latch, and weather-tight seal for ultimate car rooftop protection and security
- EASY & CONVENIENT LOADING AND UNLOADING from either side of the car make for smooth travel and hassle-free storage
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED, EASY ASSEMBLY AND INSTALLATION. All mounting hardware and simple instructions are included to get you safely on the road quickly
- MADE IN USA, LIMITED LIFETIME GUARANTEE. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier’s high-quality construction and performance give you peace of mind
Another great rooftop cargo box for the Honda Pilot is from the JEGS company. The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier offers 18 cubic feet of cargo space. It’s also waterproof, which means no more wet skis or snowboards while driving through rain or snow. It also includes a four-corner locking system for additional peace of mind.
You can load or unload this roof cargo box from either side of it. This is great when you have multiple people that want to access or put away items at the same time. Another positive for this roof cargo box is that it requires no additional installation tools. Everything you need to properly install the JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier comes in its box. It also comes with two keys, which is a nice bonus feature.
The JEGS Rooftop Cargo Carrier weighs 35 pounds. It is 61.25 inches long, 39 inches wide, and 12 inches tall. It has a 110-pound carrying capacity. This roof box weighs 28 pounds.
Thule Sidekick Rooftop Cargo Box:
- Compact roofbox, ideal for small loads such as camping gear or golf clubs
- Sturdy U-bolts with reinforcement plates and adjustable brackets provide a secure fit to rack
- Compact design leaves room for other roof mounted accessories
- Passenger side opening for easier loading and unloading
- External Dimensions: 54 x 25 x 15.5 in
Not everyone wants the largest possible roof cargo box on top of your car. If this sounds like you, it’s time to learn about the Thule Sidekick Rooftop Cargo Box. This roof cargo box is best for items like camping gear and golf clubs. However, it’s not going to be ideal for longer items like skis or snowboards.
This roof box is also extremely durable. With its dual-locking feature, you’ll know your items will always remain secure. While smaller than other roof boxes on this list, the Thule Sidekick has an impressive load capacity of 75 pounds.
Another standout feature of this (and other Thule roof boxes) is its U-bolt mounting system. With this system, you can attach your roof box to roof rails in a matter of minutes. Each corner of this roof box has pre-bored holes. All you have to do to install it is line your roof box up with two of the holes.
The Thule Sidekick Rooftop Cargo Box is extremely lightweight, weighing only 3.7 pounds. It is 54 inches long, 25 inches wide, and 15.5 inches tall.
SportRack Vista XL Roof Box:
- 18 cubic foot (510 L) internal cargo capacity
- Made from durable UV-resistant ABS material
- Rear opening for easy access away from traffic
- Tool-free mounting hardware for easy installation and removal
- Includes key and lock to secure contents in the box, and the box to your rack
Another large roof cargo box that might be for you is one from SportRack. This company isn’t as well-known as Thule and Yakima. However, this company recently released the SportRack Vista XL roof box that is turning lots of heads. It is also getting great reviews.
One reason why the SportRack Vista XL Roof Box is so popular is that, like many other items on this list, it doesn’t require any installation tools. What you need to install this roof box comes shipped with your order. A great feature of this roof box is that you can open it from the back. Having a rear opening is great for people that want to access their cargo away from the view of other people.
With its ABS construction, the SportRack Vista XL is easy to keep clean and won’t fade from being out in the sun. This roof box weighs 28 pounds. It is 62.5 inches long, 39 inches wide, and 19 inches tall. The SportRack Vista XL roof box is capable of carrying 100 pounds of weight.
Thule Motion XT Rooftop Cargo Carrier:
- Oversized roof-mounted cargo box provides 22 cubic feet of additional packing space
- Designed for optimal space efficiency, aerodynamics, and vehicle fit
- Quick-mount system "clicks" when roof box is secure and properly mounted
- Dual-side opening for quick access from either side of the car
- Easy to open and close with grip-friendly handles and supporting lid-lifters
If the other options on this list aren’t what you’re looking for, consider taking a closer look at the Thule Motion XT. Thule remains one of the top brands in the roof box industry. Plus, the Thule Motion roof box is available in two colors: black and titan (which is a gray color).
When discussing the features of this roof box, there’s quite a lot to talk about. This roof box is the largest in terms of load capacity on this list. The Thule Motion XT has 22 cubic feet of storage space, which should be more than enough to bring along a lot of items. This roof cargo box has a load capacity of 165 pounds. It’s capable of fitting five to seven pairs of skis or three to five snowboards.
Another great feature of the Thule Motion XT features a quick-mount system that clicks in place when you secure it properly. Considering the size of this roof cargo box, it is also one of the heaviest items on this list. It weighs 55 pounds. It is 91.5 inches long, 37.5 inches wide, and 18 inches tall.
How to Install a Roof Cargo Box on a Honda Pilot
At this point, you should have a decent idea of what roof box you need. With that in mind, it’s now time to learn how to install a roof box on your Honda Pilot. While it might seem complicated, it’s a lot easier than you might think.
Step 1: The first thing you’ll need to do is gather your roof box and any items that came with it. These will be items you need to place on top of your vehicle. Fortunately, most of these items on this list don’t require any special installation tools.
Step 2: It’s now time to place the mount of your roof box on top of your car. For this step, you will need to secure it to your roof rack. If your car doesn’t have a roof rack, you can get a pair of roof racks for a Honda Pilot here.
Step 3: Now, you’ll want to secure your roof box to your vehicle’s roof rack. This should only require manually fastening your roof box. Once the roof box is secure, apply slight pressure to make sure it doesn’t do a lot of wobbling.
Here’s a video generalized installation guideline:
As you can see, there are several great roof cargo boxes available for the Honda Pilot. If you want to take a closer look at the most popular roof boxes, check out theroofboxes.com. On this website, you can find reviews of roof boxes for popular automobiles from Honda, Toyota, BMW, Subaru, and many others.
Last update on 2021-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API